Construction began in 1195, and in 1214 nearly half of the building - a little more than the current choir - was completed.
After an interruption of about ten years, the second construction campaign - structural work of the nave and the western facade - begins in 1225 and will continue until 1230. At this date, the main work is finished.
The North Tower collapsed in 1506 and had to be rebuilt.
Then, the work of the facade was done in slow motion. In 1313, it was necessary to support the south tower, in which cracks had appeared, by implanting a huge "abutting pillar". It has never been possible, because of this fragility, to implant bells, hence its name "turn deaf". Other work of consolidation of the facade was undertaken, and the north tower was still unfinished at the consecration of the cathedral on May 13, 1324 by Archbishop Guillaume de Brosse.
In 1424, the cathedral receives its astronomical clock, built by André Cassart and designed by Jean Fusoris.